Friday, March 12, 2010

The $64 Tomato

Need a fun, light-hearted read? You should definitely try The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden.

As the popularity of backyard vegetable gardens has soared and I've started my own, at times I've doubted the cost savings associated with such an endeavor. It seems like I typically spend much more than I save. When I spotted this book, I knew it would be something I could understand. However, I didn't expect it to be hilarious. Like laugh-out-loud-at-work hilarious.* If it's any clue, the first chapter of the book is titled "Whore in the Bedroom, Horticulturist in the Garden." The author is a man who is turned on by the dirty fingernails of his attractive landscape architect and compares a resident groundhog to Brigitte Bardot. Not exactly what I expected from a book about vegetable gardens. It's a quick read--give it a try!

*I'd like to explain while I was reading a book at work, but it's a really long story that begins with the 4th largest bank failure of 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment